Thursday, January 14, 2010

Post 9-11 GI Bill turned enormous regret into a promising future for my daughter

 

My college freshman daughter is attending a terrific university this year with tuition, fees, books, housing and a small stipend all paid for by the Post 9-11 GI Bill; and it truly cost me nothing. This occured to me as I moved her from one school to another this week with very little anxiety, which will likely floor other parents who've pulled thier hair out after a son or daughter decided the first choice just wasn't what they'd expected.

I never signed up for the Montgomery GI Bill when enlisting in 1988 because it sounded too good to be true, and I did not trust the government at its word (the irony is not lost, I assure you). This simple act of defiance – or “lack” of action -- haunted me for more than 20 years as my singular regret to military service (and I could not even claim that my recruiter lied to me). Alternatively, I spent years going to school at night to attain my degree using the 100% tuition assistance offered to all active duty members. Still a good deal, but challenging as any working parent pursuing their education can tell you.

I was about to give up a 20-year mission to make up for that initial mistake when rumors of the Post 9-11 program surfaced in late 2008. This godsend for military members went active in August 2009 – a month before my daughter started school. The VA website has the details, but this program replaced that singular regret with a promise for the future that is a true gift to American service members!

Posted via web from Midwest Marines

No comments:

Post a Comment

Midwest Marines encourages posts that are frank, honest, and professional. Posts containing foul language, racial or ethnic slurs, extremist propaganda, advertising, anti-American sentiments, or links to these types of sites (except in reference to current news or other relevant content) will be removed with a request sent to the author to repost without this prohibited content. This is not an attempt at censorship, but rather an effort to ensure mutual respect and profesionalism by all.